Making it perfect for learners of American English
This content contains all entries from “Collins COBUILD Advanced American English Dictionary [Second edition]” published by the British company HarperCollins.
This new edition of the Collins COBUILD American Advanced Dictionary offers up-to-date coverage of today's English in a clear, attractive format.
This dictionary is ideal for upper intermediate and advanced learners of American English.
It covers all the words, phrases and idioms that students need to learn and master to be able to speak and write effective American English.
With full-sentence definitions written in simple, natural English, this dictionary is easy to use and understand.
The examples, taken from the 4.5-billion-word Collins Corpus, show learners how the words are used in authentic contexts.
What is “COBUILD”?
“COBUILD” is an acronym for “Collins Birmingham University International Language Database” and is the name of a collaborative research project between the famous British dictionary publisher Collins and Birmingham University.
It is an epoch-making monolingual dictionary of “living English” that uses the huge database accumulated in the corpus ― The Bank of English™.
It was also the world's first dictionary to be based on a corpus and has been widely loved by English learners around the world for more than 20 years.
Features and functions
- Search within entries, idioms, examples
- Customize search options (starts/ends with, appears in idioms/examples)
- Fast pattern-match search (*, ?, vowel, consonant and group of letters) for crossword solving
- Pronunciation audio available offline (all headwords by UK and US speakers)
- “Jump” feature – touch any word anywhere in the dictionary to go to the definition
- Search text within entry
- Bookmark and history functions
- Syncing bookmarks and history with iCloud
- Clipboard search
- VoiceOver read outs dictionary contents
|Genre||English learner’s dictionary|
|Update date||March 4, 2019|
|Release date||July 10, 2012|
|Title||Collins COBUILD Advanced American English Dictionary 2nd edition|