Intermediate/advanced handbook for studying kanji and words
Kanji in Context is a content based on Kanji in Context published by The Japan Times Publishing. It helps intermediate and advanced Japanese learners to learn all 2,136 characters on the revised Joyo Kanji Hyo, a list standardizing the use of kanji in modern written Japanese, along with about 9,500 vocabulary terms that incorporate those characters.
Users systematically study the shapes, readings, and meanings of kanji specially arranged for efficient learning, and in doing so, naturally increase their vocabulary. When the handbook is used together with the companion workbooks (sold separately as paper book), learners can more firmly master the kanji by going through related words/expressions and sample sentences.
Includes all 2,136 characters of the revised Joyo Kanji list, plus some 9,500 words written with those characters. The Joyo Kanji are sorted into seven levels aligned with the stages of learning. Each character is presented with its readings and stroke order, as well as examples of words that incorporate it.
The seven levels basically correspond with the following learning stages.
Level 1 （No.1-250） Beginning Level 2 （251-350） Beginning Level 3 （351-1200） Intermediate Level 4 （1201-1420） Advanced Level 5 （1421-1832） Advanced Level 6 （1833-1942） Highly advanced Level 7 （1943-2136） Highly advanced
- The kanji are arranged based on shape, meaning, and vocabulary. The characters within each level are placed near others that are associated with them, such as kanji that share similar shapes, have high frequency of use, or form the same kanji compounds. Word entries considered important or difficult are highlighted.
The following information is given for each kanji.
1. Number of strokes and order of strokes
3. Appearance in text
4. Variations and similarly shaped characters (if any)
- Example words considered very important to know (key words) are printed in red. Those that are very difficult or are deemed special cases are marked with symbols.
- The Appendices include a kanji list by level, indexes ordered by the characters’ readings and forms, and a vocabulary index.
- Kanji/Idiom search
- Start/End/Match search methods
- Partial Match (Advanced search mode)
- Advanced search mode (Pattern/Anagram)
- Appendix (Preface, Overview of Text, Overview of Main Book, Overview of Workbook, How to use Kanji in Context)
- Index (On-Kun index, Vocabulary Index, Form Index)
- “Jump” feature – touch any word anywhere in the dictionary to go to the definition
- Search text within entry
- Bookmark and history functions
- Syncing bookmarks and history with iCloud
- Clipboard search
- VoiceOver read outs dictionary contents
|Update date||September 7, 2023|
|Release date||September 7, 2023|
|Title||KANJI IN CONTEXT [Revised Edition]|
|Publisher||The Japan Times Publishing|